Tuesday, April 26, 2016

TRAPPED BY KUBRICK'S FRAME


I lost count of the number of times I've seen The Shining a long time ago, and yet I still occasionally find myself discovering new things and/or encountering new insights about it. One case in point is from this Pink Smoke article about Rodney Ascher's Room 237, which contains the following paragraph:
I should also mention that the reason I asked Adam to join Marcus and myself for this panel is that, other than knowing he's a huge Shining and Kubrick fan, he once proposed the most compelling insight I've ever heard about the movie: the fact that none of the characters exit the frame under their own power until the very end, when Wendy and Danny escape in the Snow Cat. The characters are trapped, not just geographically in the snowbound hotel, but inside Kubrick's unrelenting lens. I've never sat and paid attention to the film closely enough to see how consistently Adam's theory sticks, but every time I happen to catch part of the film on TV it seems close enough, and makes for a much more palpable origin for the film's inescapable tension that undoubtedly compelled the Room 237 talking heads to over-analyze it in the first place.
Now, I also have yet to personally verify this theory, but I can't think of any exceptions off the top of my head, and you can bet I'll have a note pad and pencil with me the next time I watch The Shining, which shouldn't be too long from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment